J.D. Downing (Camp Director) will be in the office only briefly thru Dec 1-11. If you have questions or emergencies, please email only (jd at xcoregon dot org) since there will be long delays on phone replies.
Saturday, Dec 10 5:00pm Update
–Our luck has officially held out on great weather as we had another beautiful day on Saturday and the forecast is for a “maybe” very small dose of snow Sunday morning — just to get everyone is a wintery frame of mind again after all this sun! Skiing remains exceptional. Fast yet still good purchase for both FS and CL. Remember sunscreen, dress in light layers, although temps are mild, there is a cool breeze.
– For Sunday, December 11 — We will push off at our more regular 8:45am time unless we see a radical change in the forecasted weather (unlikely). We should be done before noon.
– All campers please review materials on this page and preparing for the camp page so we can make check-in fast and easy every day. Most important is to try & print out/sign your waivers (2 of them) — bring check or cash for any balance due and/or for trail fees (if you don’t have a season pass.
– FOR CLASSIC SKIING: With the semi-springlike weather to start the Camp, anyone planning to classic ski is strongly urged to bring waxless skis (ideally old school fishscales) if you can. The snow is a mix of packed powder and melt/freeze now, with probably more of the latter in coming days. If you use waxables, you will soon need to plan on at least a klister binder — eventually pure klister — until we get more fresh snow. PLEASE classic skiers plan on arriving early if you have to wax since we have to start on time (skiing by 8:45am) to keep other skiers and coaches on schedule!
General Camp Policies & Procedures
– The camp sessions will start on time whenever possible. Right now 8:45am target time on all weekdays. Weekends subject to change a bit earlier (so keep checking the website!).
– On your first camp day, please arrive 15 minutes early so we can process paperwork!
– We will ski our full morning schedule unless the mountain has an emergency closure or it is unsafe to continue due to roads or other situations. This is super rare. It’s a winter sport and we are tough!
– If you are classic skiing and need to wax, please arrive 15-20mins early so you can kick wax. Please try and avoid taking up clinic time tinkering with classic wax (this is a good reason for waxless skis during the clinic!).
– EVERYONE driving up to Mt Bachelor each morning should allow extra time on snowy days to safely get to the Nordic Center on time. From west side hotels on a snowy day anticipate 35mins drive time and you should have ample time. Add more time if you stay in downtown or other places.
– If you are late, we will try and have a wipe board with a rough location where you can find groups. But there are no promises you will be able to find the “right” group for your needs. It is much better to be on time as it is not fair to other campers for us to hold up the session for late comers.
– If you cannot make it at all on a given day, we will try (emphasis on “try”) to reschedule you for another camp day. We cannot issue any refunds for any reason after the Camp begins because of fixed costs. Please do not ask. Whenever possible, PLEASE tell J.D. in advance via email if you know you will miss a scheduled day.
– About Morning Start Times: See note above about special weekend start times. Unless weather intervenes, our planned start time on weekdays will be 8:45am. We want to get out the door putting on skis as close to that time as possible. This requires people to arrive up at Mt Bachelor at least 10-15 minutes before that time so you can gear up, visit restrooms, etc.. Note that we can’t promise the downstairs door to the Nordic Center will be open before 8:30am — so please be patient with staff! Note also for everyone on Thurs, Dec 1 and everyone else on subsequent days that are YOUR FIRST Day — please have your paperwork in a handy spot and be in the Nordic Center no later than 8:35am so we can process your waivers/balance due quickly.
– When you are splitting techniques, we have coaches for both techniques and we have plotted how many classic skiers are possible based on registration input. The only thing that will screw up the system is if people end up classic more days than we’ve accounted for. So please let J.D. know ahead of time if you opt for more classic.
1.) 2011 Camp Schedule
Please note that the Camp Schedule is always subject to change, keep checking back to this page. We will try and send notices via email if we have any big changes — but campers are highly advised to keep an eye on this page before and during the camp “just in case”.
All campers are welcome to attend any PM sessions with space available. This includes the wax clinics, training lectures, and social video reviews. These events are included in your camp fees regardless of the number of ski days you are attending.
All ski sessions meet at Mt Bachelor Nordic Center. Plan to gather inside the Center building in the downstairs meeting room. Easiest route is to walk to the right side of the Nordic Center and into the downstairs via a breezeway under the deck. Note that on many days the doors to the Center will not be unlocked until our meeting time. If you require restrooms before those times, go to the Guest Services building on the alpine side.
We will have a firm goal of everyone being on skis and pushing away no later than 5 minutes after the listed meeting time below. The faster we can take care of paperwork, the more skiing we can do! If anyone is running late, it is up to you to find us on the trails — we cannot wait. If possible, we’ll leave clues as to where we are skiing on a wipeboard at the Center.
Thursday December 1 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am. No PM activities.
Friday, December 2 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am, Afternoon wax clinic 3:30-4:30pm (@ Webcyclery)
Saturday, December 3 — Morning ski session, skiing by 8:45am. Evening training/fitness plan workshop from 3:15pm-4:45pm. (@ Central Oregon Environmental Center).
Sunday, December 4 — Morning ski session, skiing by 8:45am. Optional afternoon 3:00PM video and social gathering at (@ La Rosa Mexican Kitchen).
Monday, December 5 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am. No PM activities.
Tuesday, December 6 — REST DAY, NO CAMP SESSIONS
Wednesday, December 7 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am, No PM activities.
Thursday, December 8 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am. Evening training/fitness plan workshop. Workshop from 4:45pm-6:15/30pm. (@ Central Oregon Environmental Center)
Friday, December 9 — Morning ski session meeting at 8:45am, Afternoon wax clinic 3:30-4:30pm (@ Webcyclery)
Saturday, December 10 — For non-racers, ready-to-ski at 8:30am. We will do an extended morning session with only a short break. For racers in the 10/5km FS Par-For-The-Course race (race is optional for campers, extra fee required) meeting at 9:40am at the XC Oregon tent or banner in the stadium area (Emil’s Clearing). For racers, your camp session will involve a warm-up with coaches, video during the race, and then an extended cool-down with coaches analyzing the race.
Afternoon video and social gathering (for both racers and non-racers alike) at 3:00pm (@ La Rosa Mexican Kitchen).
Sunday, December 11 — Final morning ski session, meeting time 8:35-40am (ready to ski at that time, so be up there earlier!) We are estimated to be done by 11:30am with only a short break. This to allow folks from out-of-town to hit the road.
2.) CAMP INFORMATION & WAIVERS (2 OF THEM)
A. Click here for general pre-camp information about the camp (what to bring, reminders, etc.).
B. Click here for the Fall Camp waiver.
C. The second required liability release (pdf) is found at this webpage:
Due to land use requirements, all campers need to sign BOTH the Fall Camp waiver and the MBSEF liability release. If you can print out both forms and sign ahead of time — then bring to your first camp session — that will save us all time/hassles. If you forget, we’ll have spares. Apologies ahead of time for the extra steps.
3.) Paying Camp Final Balance
Thank you in advance to those skiers than have already sent in your full balance. For those folks — if you have a Mt Bachelor season pass — consider yourself all set for the camp except for signed liability waivers (we will need those signed prior to start of your first session). If you will need a trail pass (meaning, you do NOT have a Mt B season pass), even if you fully paid for the camp then please bring your checkbook to your first ski session so we can get your trail fees paid.
For everyone that has just paid a deposit up to this point, you are asked to bring your checkbook to the first camp session you attend and we will quickly give you the final balance to pay at that time. Please do NOT fill out your check ahead of time because we’ll want to add the cost of your trail fees to your final balance.
For 5 day campers, if you’ve paid a $100 deposit so you’ll have $185 camp balance due at your first session + trail fees.
For 4 day campers, if you’ve paid a $100 deposit so you’ll have $130 camp balance due at your first session + trail fees.
For 3 day campers, if you’ve paid a $100 deposit so you’ll have $75 camp balance due at your first session + trail fees.
For 2 day campers, if you’ve paid a $60 deposit so you’ll have $60 camp balance due at your first session + trail fees.
Can you pay the balance via credit card? Unfortunately no. The camp is just too small to make processing cards affordable. Please just checks or money orders or cash.
4.) Trail Fees
For all campers that have a Mt Bachelor season pass or 70+ years, skip this item. You will not have extra trail fees.
For campers without Mt Bachelor season passes, at your first camp session we will quickly calculate your camp trail fees and have you add that amount to your final camp balance payment at your first camp session.
The 2011 Fall Camp has arranged special Camp trail fees as follows (note that the Camp must purchase your passes for days you are in the Camp, you cannot get these same rates at the window or for extra days skiing before/after the Camp:
– Campers skiing 1 day — $14 midweek & $17 weekends.
– Campers up to 64 years skiing 2+ days — flat per day rate of $13.
– Campers 65-69 years skiing 2+ days — flat per day rate of $8.